Choosing the right flooring can make or break your kitchen. Though it serves a huge functional purpose for your kitchen, it can also hugely affect the overall aesthetic of your home and be the deciding factor in a guest’s first impression of your house. That’s why it’s so important to choose your kitchen flooring carefully. While there are many great options on the market, there are a few things you should think about to ensure you’re getting the right flooring for you, your home, and your lifestyle.
Before you sign on to a particular flooring, here are some things to consider to help you choose the best flooring for your kitchen:
- Durability. Considering that your kitchen will get a lot of foot traffic and deal with a few spills and messes, it’s essential that you pick highly durable flooring. You should also choose flooring and finishes that are scratch resistant, especially if you’re prone to dropping pots and pans. Less durable flooring will need more repairs and even need to be replaced more often, leading to more money being spent. Avoid this by choosing something durable and long-lasting.
- Maintenance. Most homeowners only want to perform a little maintenance on their floors besides the routine sweep and mop. Minimize your time cleaning your floors by picking something low maintenance—water-resistant, easy to clean, and stain-proof. You may also want to pick something that doesn’t require special cleaning solutions.
- Comfort. Kitchen flooring can be uncomfortable, especially if you’re spending an extended period in the kitchen cutting, dicing, stirring, and cooking. And after a long day at work, we doubt that the last thing you want to do is spend more time on your feet! Choose a slightly softer flooring on the feet to keep you more comfortable. You can also add mats and rugs to your kitchen to help with this.
- Room Size. Think about the size of your kitchen: is it big or is it small? Lighter flooring can help a smaller kitchen appear more open, whereas darker flooring can make a larger kitchen feel cozier. You can also choose larger planks or tiles in a small space to make it appear larger.
- Budget. Of course, stay within your means and think about the overall budget you can spend on flooring. Affordability is often the most critical thing to homeowners when choosing floors. Though some flooring will be famously more expensive than others, you can typically find options in any price range from any material. Speak to a professional to help you discover flooring within your budget.
- Style. Lastly, think about your personal style! While it’s essential for your kitchen flooring to look good, you also want it to fit the rest of your home’s design. Ask yourself questions like if the flooring will look good with your existing cabinetry and counters, if it works with smaller tilework on your backsplash, and if you want your flooring to be more subtle or be the focal point of your kitchen.
Trust Carpet Depot for all your carpeting needs! We offer a wide selection of carpeting, sheet vinyl, and luxury vinyl. Our certified team ensures you select the best product for your needs, taste, and budget. And when it’s time for installation, we use our experienced and insured installers who treat your home with the respect it deserves.
Visit our showroom and speak with one of our consultants, or call (910) 849-3225 for more information.